[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-dev] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Mar 9 09:34:29 EST 2005

I only have a little to contribute at this point:

> Proposal:
> Incorporate matplotlib as part of the scipy framework (replacing plt).

While this is an admirable goal, I personally find scipy and matplotlib
easy to install separately.  The only difficulty (of course!) is the
numarray/numeric split, so I have to be sure that I select numerix as
Numeric in my .matplotlibrc file before typing 'ipython -pylab -p
scipy', which actually works really well.

> 2) Installation problems -- I'm not completely clear on what the
> "installation problems" really are.

scipy and matplotlib are both very easy to install.  Using ATLAS is the
biggest pain, as Travis says, and one can do without it.  Now that a
simple 'scipy setup.py bdist_rpm' seems to work reliably, I for one am
happy.

I think splitting scipy up into multiple subpackages isn't such a good
idea.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find CPAN counter-intuitive,
hard to use, and hard to keep track of in an RPM-based environment.  Any
large package is going to include a lot of stuff most people don't need,
but like a NY Times ad used to say, "You might not read it all, but
isn't it nice to know it's all there?"

I can tell you why I'm not contributing much code to the effort at least
in one recent instance.  Since I'm still getting core dumps when I try
to use optimize.leastsq with a defined Jacobian function, I dove into
_minpackmodule.c and its associated routines last night.  I'm at sea. I
know enough Python to be dangerous, used LMDER from Fortran extensively
while doing my Ph.D., and am pretty good at C, but am completely
unfamiliar with the Python-C API.  So I don't even know how to begin
tracking the problem down.

Finally, as I mentioned at SciPy04, our particular physics department is
at an undergraduate institution (no Ph.D. program), so we mainly produce
majors who stop at the B.S. or M.S. degree.  Their job market seems to
want MATLAB skills, not Python, at the moment, so that's what the
faculty are learning and teaching to their students.  Many of them/us
simply don't have the time to learn Python on top of that.  Though, when
I showed some colleagues how trivial it was to trim some unwanted bits
out of data files they had using Python, I think I converted them.