[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up numarray -- questions on itsdesign

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Mon Jan 17 20:18:39 EST 2005

Ralf Juengling wrote:

> I took a cursory look at the C API the other day and learned about
> this capability to process byte-swapped data. I am wondering why
> this is a good thing to have. Wouldn't it be enough and much easier
> to drop this feature and instead equip numarray IO  routines with
> the capability to convert to and from a foreign endian to the host
> endian encoding?

Basically this feature was to allow use of memory mapped data that
didn't use the native representation of the processor (also related
to supporting record arrays). The details are given in a paper
a couple years ago:
http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray/papers/pycon2003.p
df

Perry