[Numpy-discussion] Multiarray PEP

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Feb 18 09:42:29 EST 2005

Timo Korvola wrote:

>Paul Barrett <barrett at stsci.edu> writes:
>

>>Any later ellipsis operators should be ignored, otherwise this
>>situation is ambiguous.
>>

>The PEP says they'll turn into colons, which is not the same as being
>ignored.

This is the current default   behavior for Numeric standard slicing, so
I see this as a continuation
of previous behavior.

I guess it should be more accurately stated, however, because two
ellipses right next to each other will always be the same as one ellipse.
Only if they are separated by something else will another ellipse be
interpreted as a single colon.

I'm happy to raise an error instead if people have not been using this
"feature"

-Travis