[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Peter Verveer verveer at embl.de
Sun Feb 6 09:15:25 EST 2005

> I think there are two ideas about what scipy should be.  Many view it
> as an awesome repository of high performance numerical algorithms that
> are array aware.  You seem to view it as an integrated matlab-like
> environment, eg with plotting.  I tend toward the former view in part
> because I was unsatisfied with the plotting capabilities, but as you
> note there are ways around that, and I'm open minded about integration
> if that is the best solution.

To me it seems that there are two things people want and they find more
or less important depending on the way they work. On the one hand there
is a need for a repository of numerical algorithms that anybody can use
and everybody needs.  On the other hand there is a desire by a large
group of people, but not all, to have a matlab-like environment. It
seems to me these things should be kept separate. I am not going to
tell anybody what their code should look like, but if I need to
download and install a complete environment to get to a repository of
code, I rather avoid that.