[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 4 14:58:56 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> The only reason I ever wanted to put it into the core is
> because of the PIL.  When I asked the creator of the PIL, why he did not
> use Numeric Python, his response was that it wasn't in the core.

Same with wxPython. If you draw a line with wxPython, and pass in a
(N,2) array for the point coordinates, it's slower than a list of
tuples. With numarray, a LOT slower. If the core multiarray type were in
the standard lib, wxPython would have code to use them and be much
faster for this kind of thing.

> Perry makes a great point about the benefit of using arrays as an
> interchange format...  There are people out there who use the array
> object in Python for just that.   It would be great if there was one
> multidimensional array object used by the entire Python community for
> applications requiring such a structure, but it wouldn't remove the need
> for "more stuff" to do science

No, but I'd also love to see at least the basic math operations in the
core too. There are so many questions on c.l.p (and other places) that
just cry out for a NumPy solution!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov