[Numpy-discussion] Numeric 24.0

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Wed Apr 6 05:12:39 EDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Again,  scipy.base should *replace* Numerical Python for all users
> (except the most adamant who don't seem to want to go with the rest of
> the community).  scipy.base is a new version of Numeric.   On the
> C-level I don't know of any incompatibilities,  on the Python level
> there are a very few (most of them rarely-used typecode character issues
> which a simple search and replace will fix).
>
> I should emphasize this next point, since I don't seem to be coming
> across very clearly to some people.   As head Numeric developer,  I'm
> stating that **Numeric 24 is the last release that will be called
> Numeric**.   New releases of Numeric will be called scipy.base.

I'm happy with the direction your taking to rejoin Numeric and Numarray.
However, changing the name from Numeric to scipy.base may contribute to the
confusion/concern.  Is it really necessary?

Steve
Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., steve at shrogers.com
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
"Reach low orbit and you're half way to anywhere in the Solar System."
-- Robert A. Heinlein