[Numpy-discussion] Array interface

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Apr 4 22:18:23 EDT 2005

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

>  - Does the description of __array_data__ mean that the discussed
>    bytes type is no longer needed? (If we can use buffers, that
>    sounds very good to me.)

We can use the buffer object, now and it works as far as it goes.   But,
there are very important reasons for the creation of a good bytes object.

Probably, THE most important reason for the bytes object is Pickle
support without always making an intermediate string (and the
accompanying copy that is involved).   Right now, a string is the only
way to Pickle array data.  A bytes object would allow a way to Pickle
without making a copy.

-Travis