[Numpy-discussion] a 'for' loop within another 'for' loop?

Hee-Seng Kye kyeser at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 19:35:39 EDT 2004

Hi.  I wrote a program to calculate sums of every possible combinations
of two indices of a list.  The main body of the program looks something
like this:

r = [0,2,5,6,8]
l = []

for x in range(0, len(r)):
     for y in range(0, len(r)):
         k = r[x]+r[y]
         l.append(k)
print l

1. I've heard that it's not a good idea to have a 'for' loop within
another 'for' loop, and I was wondering if there is a more efficient
way to do this.

2. Does anyone know if there is a built-in function or module that
would do the above task in NumPy or Numarray (or even in Python)?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know.

Thanks for your help!