[Numpy-discussion] Status of Numeric

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 26 09:52:03 EST 2004

I remember that thread clearly, as I think making it easy to write new
Ufuncs (and others) that perform at C speed could make a real difference
to how effective SciPy ultimately is. I say SciPy, because I believe a
large collection of special purpose optimized functions probably doesn't
belong in in Numarray itself.

Francesc Alted wrote:

> So, it seems that he don't liked the idea to implement "templates" in Pyrex.

Yes, I remember that answer, and was disappointed, though the logic of
not-re-implkimenting C++ templates is pretty obvious. Which brings up
the obvious question: why not use C++ templates themselves? which is
what Blitz does. This points ot weave.blitz at the obvious way to write
optimized special purpose functions for SciPy. Does weave.Blitz work
with Numarray yet?

Clearly it's time for me to check it out more...

> Yeah, I'm quite convinced that a mix between Pyrex and the existing solution
> in numarray for dealing with templates could be worth the effort.  At least,
> some analysis could be done on that aspect.

allowing Pyrex to use templates would be great.. but how would that be
better than weave.blitz? Or maybe Pyrex could use blitz.

I'm kind of over my head here, but I hope something comes of this.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov