[Numpy-discussion] Update for IM. a small image processing system

Edward C. Jones edcjones at erols.com
Tue Jan 6 08:54:01 EST 2004

Perry Greenfield wrote:

>>Hi Ed,
>>

>>>A cople of things I would like to see:
>>>
>>>The ability to read and write a variety of image formats.
>>>

>>That is of course important. But in my view really a separate issue from
>>developing a library of analysis routines. The latter just have
>>to operate on
>>numarray arrays and need not to worry about how the data gets there. Of
>>course you need to get your data in numarray. PIL seems to do a
>>good job with
>>images, except for 16bit tiffs which causes me quiet some
>>problems. Anybody
>>know a good solution for getting 16bit tiffs into numarray?
>>

>I'd agree that support for image formats should be decoupled
>from processing functions
>

>>>ImageMagick
>>>has a good set. All of ImageMagick should be wrapped.
>>>

>>Isn't there already a python interface to ImageMagick?
>>

>Perhaps we should look at how much work it would be to adopt
>Travis's wrapped version for numarray. It may be fairly simple
>to do if his version uses the the more common api calls.
>
>Perry

I have checked this out a bit.  All the Numeric function calls are among
the ones that numarray emulates. All but one of them seem to be properly
DECREFed. The exception is in "imageobject.c", line 973, where "bitobj"
is created.

Also: ImageMagick was forked, producing GraphicsMagick. The two are very
similar. Which is better to use?

Ed Jones