[Numpy-discussion] the direction and pace of development

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:52:09 EST 2004

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, eric jones wrote:
>

>>Speaking from the standpoint of SciPy, all I can say is we've tried to
>>do what you outline here.  The effort of releasing the huge load of
>>Fortran/C/C++/Python code across multiple platforms is difficult and
>>takes many hours.
>

> And since SciPy is mostly Windows, the users expect that one click
> installs the universe.  Good for customer experience.  Bad for
> maintainability which would really like to have independently maintained
> packages with hard API's surrounding them..

What in the world does this mean?  SciPy is "mostly Windows"  Yes, there
is a only a binary installer for windows available currently.  But, how
does that make this statement true.

For me SciPy has always been used almost exclusively on Linux.  In fact,
the best plotting support for SciPy (in my mind) is xplt (pygist-based)
and it works best on Linux.

-Travis