[Numpy-discussion] binary thinning

Bob Klimek klimek at grc.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 7 15:19:17 EST 2004

Hi,

I've been playing around with the binary_hit_or_miss function in the
nd_image and it seems to work well in general. I understand that binary
thinning can be generated by using hit_or_miss, however I can't seem to
get it to work right. Anyone have a code snippet that does the job?

I follow the procedure at:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/HIPR2/thin.htm

My implementation is as follows:

        ## from HIPR2 web site

        ## [0,0,0]
        ## [x,1,x]
        ## [1,1,1]
        struct1 = numarray.array(
        [[0, 0, 0],
        [0, 1, 0],
        [1, 1, 1]])
        struct2 = numarray.array(
        [[1, 1, 1],
        [0, 0, 0],
        [0, 0, 0]])

        ## [x,0,0]
        ## [1,1,0]
        ## [x,1,x]
        struct3 = numarray.array(
        [[0, 0, 0],
        [1, 1, 0],
        [0, 1, 0]])
        struct4 = numarray.array(
        [[0, 1, 1],
        [0, 0, 1],
        [0, 0, 0]])

        b = []
        for i in range(4):
            temp = ND.binary_hit_or_miss(a, struct1, struct2)
            b.append(temp)
            temp = ND.binary_hit_or_miss(a, struct3, struct4)
            b.append(temp)

            struct1 = ND.rotate(struct1, 90)
            struct2 = ND.rotate(struct2, 90)
            struct3 = ND.rotate(struct3, 90)
            struct4 = ND.rotate(struct4, 90)

        result = b[0]
        for i in range(7):
            result = numarray.logical_or(result, b[i+1])

        result = a - result

Bob