[Numpy-discussion] Numarrays from C arrays without copying

Ville Hakulinen ville at e.math.helsinki.fi
Thu Apr 22 11:24:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:10:07AM -0400, Todd Miller wrote:
> No, not yet.  You're not the first person to ask for this but I'd
> appreciate it if you'd explain why you need it.  So far,  not having
> that feature is a conscious omission to keep complexity down.

First I managed not to reply to numpy-discussion, so here we go again:

We are building a Python interface to PETSc 2.2
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/) using SWIG. It would
be very convenient to access the part of a PETSc vector that is
local to a process(or) using Numarray.

Other options would be to just write functions to access the part
of a vector independently of Numarray or to figure out whether one
could tell PETSc to use the memory area allocated by Numarray.
--
Ville