[Numpy-discussion] sum and mean methods behaviour

Peter Verveer verveer at embl-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 3 08:40:20 EDT 2003

I also believe that the current behavior for numarray/Numeric reduce method
(not to cast) is the right one. It is fine to leave the user with the
responsibility to be careful in the case of the reduce operation.

But to correctly calculate a mean or a sum by the array methods that are
provided you have to convert the array first to a more precise type, and then
do the calculation. That wastes space and is slow, and seems not very elegant
considering that these are very common statistical operations.

A separate implementation for the mean() and sum() methods that uses double
precision in the calculation without first converting the array would be
straightforward. Since calculating a mean or a sum of a complete array is
such a common case I think this would be useful.

That leaves the same problem for the reduce method which in some cases would
require first a conversion, but this is much less of a problem (at least for
me). Having to convert before the operation can be wasteful though.

I do like the idea that was also proposed on the list to supply an optional
argument to specify the output type. Then the user has full control of the
output type (nice if you want high precision in the result without converting
the input), and the code can easily be used to implement the mean() and sum()
methods. The default behavior of the reduce method can then remain unchanged,
so this would not be an obtrusive change. But, I imagine that this may
complicate the implementation.

Cheers, Peter