[Numpy-discussion] numarray boolean array formatting poll results

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 23 08:11:10 EDT 2003

The thread on what to do with boolean array formatting in numarray has
died out,  so I thought I should explain (what I saw) as the results of
the poll:

(1) There was a clear majority of numarray users who actually prefer the
status quo of 0,1 for representing arrays of boolean values.

(2) There was a sizable minority that would like to see consistency with
Python-2.3 by using False, True for representing arrays of boolean
values.

(3) There was a (good) suggestion of using F, T for representing boolean
values.  However, on reflection and reviewing the poll comments,  F, T
is not really as good as 0, 1 visually, nor is it likely to satisfy
those people interested in consistency with Python, so it is unlikely to
make most numarray users any happier.

(4) Also suggested was supporting configurable boolean formats.  This
approach is reasonable to implement,  but I have a reservation that
adding support for multiple formats may cause as much confusion as it
gives satisfaction.  Is it *really* worth it?  (more later)

Given 1-4,  I think the best thing to do for now is keep 0,1 as the only
format for boolean array values.

If someone wants False, True bad enough to submit a complete patch for
supporting multiple formats (and defaulting to 0,1),  we will still
accept it.  If anyone is still interested in doing this, the patch
should include modified TeX documentation and pass all the self tests in
setupall.py (all of core numarray and all current add-ons).  The patch
should also run cleanly on both Python-2.2 and Python-2.3.

Thanks everyone for responding,
Todd

Todd Miller 			jmiller at stsci.edu
STSCI / ESS / SSB