[Numpy-discussion] array sort questions

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Thu Sep 18 11:35:10 EDT 2003

Hi Chunlei,

I just realized one other thing that you should probably be aware of.
You could write a much faster version of sortrank in pure python by
doing your sorts differently. Python's built in sort is very fast, but
as soon as you start passing in comparison functions it slows down
dramatically. The trick is to arange the data you need to sort so that
you don't need an auxilliary function  (know asDecorate-Sort-Undecorate
or the Schwartzian transform). Thus, the following is almost certainly a
lot faster than your original sortrank, although probably still slower
than the argsort solution.

def sortrank(list):
    index = range(len(list))
    li_a = zip(list, index)