[Numpy-discussion] Converting string to array

Andrew Nesbit alnesbit at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon May 12 23:26:03 EDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, eric jones wrote:

> Try fromstring.  I think it should do what you want:

> fromstring(string, typecode='l', count=-1) returns a new 1d array
> initialized from the raw binary data in string.  If count is
> positive, the new array will have count elements, otherwise it's
> size is determined by the size of string.

Thanks, Eric.  That did the trick.

The manual said that Numeric.array() takes a sequence type as one of
its arguments, and considering that a string is a sequence type, I
thought that, given an appropriate typecode, it would do the
conversion automatically in the same way that array.array does.  Is
this difference an intended feature of numpy?

Andrew.