[Numpy-discussion] ANNOUNCE: numarray-0.6

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Jul 21 04:00:09 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 16:12, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Congratulations !

Thanks!

> And thanks for the nice work -- I'm
> going upgrade tomorrow...

Great.

> And this time even the new documentation is already online
> ;-)   [It's just somewhat sad that google still points to
> the 'numarray has moved!' page]
>
> Question: In an email from May-20th (actually regarding
> rel.0.5) Todd wrote:
> "However, there is a new API function which I added in
> response to your
>   last post: NA_NewAllFromBuffer() which enables you to
> create arrays in C
>   from existing buffer objects rather than just C arrays."
>
> The 0.6 documentation doesn't mention that function - for
> now I probably have to read the source, right ?

Yes.  The signature is:

PyArrayObject * NA_NewAllFromBuffer  (int ndim, maybelong *shape,
NumarrayType type, PyObject *bufferObject, maybelong byteoffset,
maybelong bytestride, int byteorder, int aligned, int writeable)

Please try it out.

> BTW - We are already using a self-made version of that -
> allowing us to access the CCD images that get acquired
> from our Microspcope (mostly C++ code) as a 16-bit
> unsigned int numarray - in real time! --- It's just great,
> and people love it.

Excellent.  That's good to hear!

--
Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>