[Numpy-discussion] numarray 0.4 on osX/darwin

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 31 07:31:01 EST 2003

Sebastian Haase wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>I tried a 'python2.2 setup.py install'
>of numarray  on a Mac running os-X (10.1; I have also Fink installed)
>I starts crunching until:
>/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>_fclearexcept
>_fetestexcept
>
>Anyone out there, who uses numarray on osX ?
>
>I'm thankful for any pointer...
>
>Sebastian Haase

Hi Sebastian,

I am very much a Mac-Amateur,  but I have run numarray under osX by
first installing a local UNIX version of Python using the source
tarball.  The steps were roughly as follows:

1. Obtain and unpack the Python source tarball in you home directory.
 cd there.

2. Configure Python using:  ./configure --prefix=$HOME

3. Edit the Makefile for the following:

61c61
 > LDFLAGS=
---
< LDFLAGS=      -framework System -framework CoreServices -framework
Foundation

This was the only (reasonable) way I could figure out how to tunnel link
time options down through the distutils in the proper command line
order.  I'm not really sure this is a minimal set of frameworks,  but it
did at least work.

4. Build and install python:  make ; make install

5.  Obtain and unpack the numarray source tarball.  cd there.

6.  Build and install numarray:  python setupall.py install

7.  Put $HOME/bin on your PATH and rehash.

Todd