[Numpy-discussion] typecodes in numarray

Paul F Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Fri Jan 24 09:43:07 EST 2003

I don't understand this remark:

<snip >but I am making an argument that perhaps
> numarray should only go so far in the support of what I regard as an
> obsolescent feature.  If the Numeric developers choose to continue
> extending the use of typecodes in ways that are incompatible with
> numarray,  one way of dealing with it is to "just say no".
> We are going
> beyond the scope of backwards compatability to on-going compatabilty.
> (Which we may still have to do but needs to be discussed and
> considered)

There is no "on-going" Numeric development. It stops the minute numarray is
ready. Period. We developers all agreed on that. The whole reason for
numarray is that Numeric was pronounced unmaintainable and unextendable by
those who frequently had to work on it. To do anything else will fragment
the entire numerical python community and software set.