[Numpy-discussion] Psyco MA?

Paul F Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Fri Feb 7 13:48:04 EST 2003

{ CC to GvR just to show why I'm +1 on the if-PEP. I liked this in another
language I used to use; Perl ? }

Perhaps knowlegeable persons could comment on the feasibility of coding MA
(masked arrays) in straight Python and then using Psyco on it? The existing
implementation is in pure python and uses Numeric to represent the two
arrays it holds (the data and sometimes a mask) in each object. A great deal
of wasted motion is devoted to preparing Numeric arrays so as to avoid
operations on masked elements.

It could have been written a lot simpler if performance didn't dictate
trying to leverage off Numeric. In straight Python one can imagine an add,
for example, that was roughly:
    for k in 0<= k < len(a.data):
       result.mask[k] = a.mask[k] or b.mask[k]
       result.data[k] = a.data[k] if result.mask[k] else a.data[k] +
b.data[k]

(using the new if expression PEP just to confuse the populace)

It seems to me that this might be competitive given the numbers someone
posted before. Alas, I can't remember who was the original poster, but I'd
guess they might have a good guess.