[Numpy-discussion] Some initial thoughts about the past week's discussions

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:52:03 EDT 2002

Impressions so far on various issues raised regarding numarray
interfaces

1) We are mostly persuaded that rank-0 arrays are the way to go.
   We will pursue the issue of whether it is possible to have
   Python accept these as indices for sequence objects with python-dev.
2) We are still mulling over the axis order issue. Regardless of
   which convention we choose, we are almost certainly going to
   make it consistent (always the same axis as default). A compatibility
   module will be provided to replicate Numeric defaults.
3) repr. Finally, a consensus! Even unanimity.
4) Complex comparisons. Implement equality, non-equality, predictable
   sorting. Make >,<,>=,<= illegal.
5) Copy vs view. Open to more input (but no delayed copying or such).

Perry