[Numpy-discussion] RE: default axis for numarray

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Jun 12 01:36:01 EDT 2002

Scott Ransom <ransom at physics.mcgill.ca> writes:

> On June 11, 2002 04:56 pm, you wrote:
> > One can make a case for allowing == and != for complex arrays, but >
> > just doesn't make sense and should not be allowed.
>
> It depends if you think of complex numbers in phasor form or not.  In phasor
> form, the amplitude of the complex number is certainly something that you
> could compare with > or < -- and in my opinion, that seems like a reasonable

Sure, but that doesn't give a full order relation for complex numbers.
Two different numbers with equal magnitude would be neither equal nor
would one be larger than the other.

I agree with Paul that complex comparison should not be allowed. On the
other hand, Perry's argument about sorting makes sense as well. Is there
anything that prevents us from permitting arraysort() on complex arrays
but not the comparison operators?

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr