[Numpy-discussion] viewing Gridded or Polar data?

Scott Ransom ransom at spock.physics.mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 17 08:01:14 EST 2002

Hi Joe,

There are C and Python wrappers around the very nice PGPLOT library that do
exactly what you want (and a whole lot more).  You can find them here:

ftp://cfa-ftp.harvard.edu/pub/ransom

The files you need are:

ppgplot-0.11.tar.gz (the C wrappers)
Pgplot.py           (the Python wrappers around the C wrappers)

Lots of additional information about the capabilities of PGPLOT can be found
at its web page:  http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/

With my current setup, you can do a lot of plotting (except 3D stuff) in a
manner that is very much like IDL (a single function call with lots of
optional keyword arguments).

I haven't modified it in quite awhile, but still use it in my own work
almost every day.

As for reading netCDF, I would recommend Konrad Hinsen's Scientific Python:

http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/scientific.html

Good luck,

Scott