[Numpy-discussion] Please help me test a new setup.py

Paul F. Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Thu Jan 17 14:09:24 EST 2002

Working from something given to me by Gerard Vermeulen I have tried to
improve Numeric's setup.py. This is now in CVS. I could use help testing
it, particularly by the those whose brains are RPM-enabled. Those Numpy
developers who have not done a damn thing lately are granted this chance
for redemption. (:->

There is no more setup_all.py; rather, setup.py builds everything. It
has, however, a structure that enables easy commenting-out of any
optional packages.

I have made and tested the Windows packages and installer; and made and
tested Linux packages and have made but not tested the Linux RPM. (sh
makedist.sh).

If trying this on a Python will Numeric already installed, remove first
from site-packages:
Numeric.pth, Numeric, FFT, RNG, MA, kinds, PropertiedClasses

Under the new scheme, Numeric.pth points to Numeric and the directories
for the others are INSIDE Numeric. Everything should be backward
compatible. I like this; it reduces the visible pollution in
site-packages.

The RPM produced does not contain the documentation (that runs into a
distutils bug in older Pythons). It does not have a name beginning with
python- because that screwed up something else. In short, it is a
compromise. Once we're all convinced that what I have works then we can
worry about the finer stuff.

A nice side benefit is that there is now only one Windows .exe
installer, and only one thing to uninstall in add/remove programs.