[Numpy-discussion] numarray, Convolve, and lineshapes

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Thu Aug 22 12:20:04 EDT 2002

Jochen Küpper wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:25:37 -0400 Todd Miller wrote:
>
>Todd> Your contribution to the Convolve package is a welcome addition
>Todd> provided that you are willing to tighten up your copyrights a
>Todd> little.
>
>That's fine, no problem.

Excellent.

>You can assume that I am willing to allow a 'modified BSD'-style
>license [1] on everything that I'll contribute to numarray. I might

Good.

>still send it to the ml as GPL'ed, because that's what I put all my
>code under initially. (And if it doesn't go into numarray, I'd

That's OK.

>probably like to keep it that way.)
>
>Todd> open source under a BSD-like license.

My mistake here.   numarray is already using a modified-BSD-like
license.

>I don't like "normal" BSD so much because I wish to release most of my
>code GPL'ed, unless somebody asks. But GPL and "normal" BSD don't get
>along well. (See [1])

To keep open the possibility that numarray might someday be included in
Python, we don't want any part of numarray to be GPL'ed.   This is a
little overkill, because Packages probably wouldn't be on the immediate
list of things to submit anyway.   Still,  it keeps life simple and us
out of trouble.

>So I'll clean it up a little tonight and check it in, if that's ok
>with you.

Sounds great!