[Numpy-discussion] QR algorithms in Python

James G Analytis james.analytis at physics.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 11 16:01:02 EDT 2002

Hi,
I'm looking for a QR algorithm that can decompose complex matrices. The
LinearAlgebra package from Numeric doesn't seem to have it. SciPy's linalg
package is still on the way, so I can't use that either. Matfunc's QR
decomposition only works for real matrices. This problem came up two years
ago on this same discussion panel, and Konrad Hinsen recommended that the
user download PyLapack from ftp://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/pub/
I cannot compile PyLapack because I get this problem:

[analytis at toomey Modules]$ python2 compile.py
Copy Misc/Makefile.pre.in from the Python distribution
to this directory and try again.
make: Makefile.pre.in: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.pre.in'.  Stop.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
[analytis at toomey Modules]$

I think the Makefile searched for is one from an earlier version of Numeric
(the tar file is 2yrs old). Any suggestions?
Cheers,
James