[Numpy-discussion] Meta: too many numerical libraries doing thesame thing?

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Nov 26 15:31:05 EST 2001

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I believe that Eric's "compiler" module included in SciPy uses Blitz++ to
> optimize Numeric expressions.  You have others who also share your
> admiration of Blitz++

Yes, it does. That's where I heard about it. That also brings up a good
point. Paul mentioned that using something like Blitz++ would only help
performance if you could pass it an entire expression, like: x =
a+b+c+d. That is exactly what Eric's compiler module does, and it would
sure be easier if NumPy already used Blitz++! In Fact, I suppose Eric's
compiler is a start towards a tool that could comp9le en entire NumPy
function or module. I'd love to be able to just do that (with some
tweeking perhaps) rather than having to code it all by hand.

My fantasies continue...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,