[Numpy-discussion] Re-implementation of Python Numerical arrays (Numeric) available for download

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Nov 16 14:33:02 EST 2001

We have been working on a reimplementation of Numeric, the
numeric array manipulation extension module for Python.
The reimplementation is virtually a complete rewrite
and because it is not completely backwards compatible
with Numeric, we have dubbed it numarray to prevent
confusion.

While we think this version is not yet mature enough for
most to use in everyday projects, we are interested in
feedback on the user interface and the open issues (see
the documents on the web page shown below). We also welcome
those who would like to contribute to this effort by helping
with the development or adding libraries.

An early beta version is available on sourceforge as the
package Numarray (http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/)

Information on the goals, changes in user interface, open issues,
and design can be found at http://aten.stsci.edu/numarray