[Numpy-discussion] 20.0.0b2 - OS X fix breaks building a shared library on Linux

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr
Tue May 1 08:37:00 EDT 2001

Hi,

Configuration: Python-2.1 + Numeric-20.0.0b2 on Linux-Mandrake-7.2.

I have a Python interface to Numeric and the Qwt-C++ plotting library.
When building this interface (a shared library) for Numeric-20.0.0b2, I
noticed that the additional static in front of the importing API pointer
in arrayobject.h (your OS X fix) leads to an unresolved symbol PyArray_API
when building a shared library.

My fix is to remove the keyword static from arrayobject.h.

Has somebody else encountered this problem? I suppose that this problem
should show up with any shared library using import_array() (version
20.0.0b2) on Linux.

If the additional static really solves the OS X problems, maybe
an #ifdef OSX ... #else ... #endif is necessary.

Best regards -- Gerard