[Numpy-discussion] Wishlist for Numpy

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue Jul 10 10:54:07 EDT 2001

> I would appreciate it, if Numpy could handle the following functions :
>
> 1. Fix eig to also be able to solve the generalized eigenvalue problem
> and polynomial eigenvalue problems

That would be a relatively simple addition to LinearAlgebra, but
would also require some additional routines from LAPACK.

> 2. Support for matrix functions like logm, expm, sqrtm

That can be done in Python code.

> 3. Wavelet transform

For efficiency, that should be done in C/Fortran. Are there any wavelet
libraries out there? Anyway, this should become a separate package.

> 4. Solver for ODE's and DAE's

Given the variety of equations and solvers, this looks like a big
project. Good Python integration is also not trivial. So that's not
only a separate package, but even a major one.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr