[Numpy-discussion] Re: Numpy-discussion digest, Vol 1 #152 - 2 msgs

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis at mayo.edu
Wed Jan 3 17:30:29 EST 2001

> A millenium-end report from the Head Nummie (this name is a joke; see the
> DEVELOPERS file):

Our nummie-ears are listening....

> There have been a steady set of messages on the subject of I should do this
> or that to make it easier to make RPMs.  It is impossible for me to act on
> these: I don't know much about RPMs, and if I did, I don't know if making
> the change suggested is good or bad for someone doing something else, like
> making Windows installers.

> Therefore my policy is to rely on the Distutils
> people to work this out. Those who wish to make it easier to make a binary
> installer for platform xyz should figure out what would be required by the
> Distutils bdist family of commands.

Good idea to go with the distutils for doing this.  I've delayed RPM's for
this reason until I figure out how to interact with the distutils better
(I haven't spent much time doing it yet).

> That is not to say that I don't appreciate people trying to help. I'm
> grateful for all the support I get from the community. I think that relying
> on division of labor in this case is the right thing to do, so that we take
> advantage of the Distutils effort. If I'm wrong, I'll listen.
>
> There are a number of bug reports on the sourceforge site. I would be
> grateful for patches. In particular there are two reports dealing with FFTs.
> I lack the expertise to deal with these.

I'll look into these unless somebody has them done.

> The masked array package MA has been getting more of a workout as I put it
> into production at my site. I believe that it fills not only the immediate
> need for dealing with missing values, but can serve as a model for how to
> make a "Numeric-workalike" with extra properties, since we can't inherit
> from Numeric's array. Since MA is improved fairly often, I recommend keeping
> up via cvs if you are a user.
>
> I have new manuals but have had difficulty with the transport up to
> SourceForge. Anybody else having such a problem? I used scp from a Linux box
> and it sat there and didn't do anything.
>
> The rest of this is for developers.
>
> Actually, once you get into it, it isn't all that clear that inheritance
> would help very much. For example, suppose you want an array class F that
> has masked values but also has a special behavior f() controlled by a
> parameter set at creation, beta. Suppose therefore you decide to inherit
> from class MA. Thus the constructor of your new class must take the same
> arguments as an MA array but add a beta=somedefault. OK, we do that. Now we
> can construct a couple of F's:
> f1 = F([1.,2.,3.], beta=1.)
> f2 = F([4.,2.,1.], beta=2.)
> Great. Now we can do f1.f(), f2.f(). Maybe we redefine __str__ so we can
> print beta when we print f1.
>
> Now try to do something. Anything. Say,
> f3 = f1 + f2
>
> Oops. f3 is an MA, not an F. We might have written __add__ in MA so the it
> used self.__class__ to construct the answer. But since the constructor now
> needs a new parameter, there is no way MA.__add__ can make an F. It doesn't
> know how. Doesn't know how to call F(), doesn't know what value to use for
> beta anyway.
>

> So now we redefine all the methods in MA. Besides muttering that maybe
> inheriting didn't buy me a lot, I am still nowhere, for the next thing I
> realize is that every function f(a) that takes an MA as an argument and
> returns an MA, still returns an MA. If any of these make sense for an
> instance of F, I have to replace them, just as MA replaced sin, cos, sqrt,
> take, etc. from Numeric.
>
> I have therefore come to the conclusion that we have been barking up the
> wrong tree. There might be a few cases where inheritance would buy you
> something, but essentially Numeric and MA are useless as parents. Instead,
> what would be good to have is a python class Numeric built upon a suite of C
> routines that did all the real work, such as adding, transposing, iterating
> over elements, applying a function to each element, etc.

I think this is what I've been trying to do in the "rewrite."  Paul
Barrett has made some excellent progress here.

> Since it is now
> possible to build a Python class with C methods, which it was not when
> Numeric was created, we ought to think about it.

What does this mean?  What feature gives this ability?  I'm not sure I see
when this changed?

> Such an API could be used
> to make other classes with good performance. We could lose the artificial
> layer that is in there now that makes it so tedious to add a function. (I
> counted something like five or six places I had to modify when I added
> "put".)

I'd love to talk more with you about this.

I'm now at my new place for anyone wishing to contact me.

Travis Oliphant
437 CB
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT  84602