[Neuroimaging] HeaderError Nibabel

Giovanni Videtta giannividetta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:09:13 EDT 2022

Good morning.
I write to you for technical support regarding the upload of a Trackvis
file with Nibabel.

A brief premise. Last January 2022 I e-mailed Dr. Ruopeng in order to solve
launch problems of Trackvis software on my Mac PC. He shared with me a new
build of the software released in December 2021: Trackvis version 0.6.2.1
(Build 2021.12.08). This build was compatible with the latest MacOS system
updates (Monterey from 12.1 to 12.4 version).

Recently, I performed some segmentations with the new Trackvis build saving
them as .trk files. However, using Nibabel, I tried to upload one of them
in order to extract the number of streamlines, but I failed. The following
message appeared: "*HeaderError: NiBabel only supports versions 1 and 2 of
the Trackvis file format*". I repeated the same operation with another .trk
file of my old segmentation performed with the previous Trackvis build and
I didn't have any problem. Finally, I checked on GitHub the latest updates
of Nibabel library (
https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/blob/master/nibabel/streamlines/trk.py) and
I noticed that they are made in August 2021.

Therefore, is it possible that the Trackvis format of .trk files produced
with the new build is not compatible with the Nibabel library tool/s?

Thank you for your support and availability.
Best wishes,
Giovanni Videtta

P.S. I attached a snapshot of my Python script to show you what code I am
using.