[Neuroimaging] CZI grant - what would you like to see in Nibabel?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:53:28 EDT 2020

Hi,

Although this is pushing things close the wire, I am currently trying
to work out whether to apply for a Chan Zuckerberg grant for Nibabel:

https://chanzuckerberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/EOSS-3-RFA-Announcement-and-Instructions-CYCLE-3-COMBINED-1.pdf

Before we do that, I wanted to ask - if y'all could get anything into
Nibabel - what
would it be?

So far, in various conversations, Chris Markiewicz and I came up with:

* More comprehensive DICOM to NIfTI etc support
* Labelled axes for images, maybe via xarray
* Integrated API for surface formats [1]
* HDF5 serialization for many image formats
* Ability to read images directly from URLs, read / write images to /
from AWS, GCS, Azure data storage addresses [2]
* Optimized visualization for web and desktop

Is there anything else you'd like to see?

See you,

Matthew

[1] https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/issues/936
[2] c.f. https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/version/1.1.0/whatsnew/v1.1.0.html#fsspec-now-used-for-filesystem-handling