[Neuroimaging] ANN: openneuro-py, a new app for downloading OpenNeuro datasets

Richard Höchenberger richard.hoechenberger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:43:55 EST 2020

Hi Yaroslav,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 6:17 PM Yaroslav, Halchenko <lists at onerussian.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, datalad is also accompanied with Python API for all of its
> functionality, so analogous command with fetching specific subjects (or
> any path you like) would be smth like
>
>         $> python3 -c 'import datalad.api as dl; ds = dl.install("
https://github.com/OpenNeuroDatasets/ds000001.git"); ds.get([f"sub-{i:02d}"
for i in [1,2,3]], jobs=5)'

[...]

> - with datalad you get not just a "downloader" but overall content
management
>   not only for "source data" but for results as well.

and

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM Yaroslav Halchenko <lists at onerussian.com>
wrote:

> >      * as far as I understand, there's no way to download a specific
revision
> >        (version number) of a dataset using datalad
>
> it is just two steps procedure indeed ATM -- you would just need to
> "manually" checkout corresponding version you like, e.g.
>
> $> python3 -c 'import datalad.api as dl; ds = dl.install("
https://github.com/OpenNeuroDatasets/ds000001.git");
ds.repo.checkout("1.0.0")'

I would say these command lines are an excellent illustration of how the
two approaches and target audiences are different: datalad may be great for
advanced and tech-savvy users, while openneuro-py aims to providea
 no-frills, easy-to-use access to OpenNeuro. You wouldn't even need to know
about git in order to use it: all you need is an OpenNeuro dataset id and a
Python installation.

Cheers,

    Richard