[Neuroimaging] Editing slices of a 4D volume efficiently with Nibabel

Tom Maullin tommaullin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:46:35 EST 2019

Hi,

I am currently writing some code which, among other things, should load in
a edit or add new 3D volumes to a pre-existing 4D file. The 4D file is
likely very large and I would like to avoid loading it into memory if
possible. I found the following in the nibabel documentation:

http://nipy.org/nibabel/images_and_memory.html#saving-time-and-memory

Which shows how to read in specific 3D slices without loading the entire 4D
volume but have had no luck finding any functions which can write to one 3D
slice without loading the entire 4D volume. Does anyone know of a way this
can be done?

Cheers,
Tom Maullin