[Neuroimaging] Append two nifti images

Christopher Markiewicz effigies at bu.edu
Tue Nov 28 10:08:32 EST 2017

Hi,

These images don't share orientation information, and even assuming that
the orientation affine from subject_9_label.nii.gz should be applied to
pred1.nii.gz, they are not aligned. They are either flipped
posterior/anterior or rotated around the inferior/superior axis. (I suspect
the former.)

It is difficult to give advice from this starting point, as, if it is
straightforwardly applied, you are very likely to get incoherent results.
You may want to check your pipeline to ensure that orientation information
is being preserved at each step. Once you have aligned images, further
operations can begin to make sense.

Finally, I assume that by "append", you mean to concatenate the images such
that you get a 4D image with 2 time points. For this you can use nibabel
(see, e.g., nibabel.concat_images), as Ariel suggests, or standard
command-line tools like mri_concat (FreeSurfer) or fslmerge (FSL).

Chris