[Neuroimaging] JSON-LD and DICOM?

Nate Vack njvack at wisc.edu
Wed Jul 5 11:38:33 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:13 PM David Gutman <dagutman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to chime in briefly.. one thing that wasn't mentioned re: DICOM is
> the fact of potential PHI leaks.    Ensuring any and all DICOM tags have no
> PHI in it is an incredibly tedious/expensive undertaking, and at least for
> those of us who use clinical scans for some of our work, the overhead of
> trying to make sure we truly anonymized everything in the DICOM header is
> significant.

Indeed! I'd advocate for whatever tool transfers data from the DICOM
headers to JSON to use, by default, a whitelisted set of tags to extract.
Being able to supply a set of tags to anonymize at conversion time would
also be excellent.

Anyhow, big +1 to storing the metadata in a header in the file, plus good
tooling for importing and exporting the data as text. Sidecars are easy to
lose and make file handling code a lot more complicated.

Overall, though: provenance data stored in headers is one of my favorite
things about AFNI's toolchain.

Best,
-Nate