[Neuroimaging] JSON-LD and DICOM?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 08:29:32 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Bennet Fauber <bennet at umich.edu> wrote:
> With respect to Romain's comment, yes, backward compatibility is
> important.  How will this affect NIfTI compatibility with other
> software?  Is this proposed change to the NIfTI format going to be
> NIfTI-2?  Is there some sort of review process that this is going
> through like NIfTI-1?

I think we're OK with backwards compatibility, because the JSON header
extension would be a "header extension" in this sense:

https://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/nifti-1/documentation/faq#Q21

Any compatible NIfTI1 reader should happily skip over the header
extension data it does not recognize - and I think that's true of the
major packages.

As for the review process, that's what we're doing in these
discussions - I drafted up a spec a while ago, that is here:

https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/wiki/json-header-extension

That was the first pass.  See this thread for the initial discussion:

https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/nipy-devel/2014-July/010087.html

I'm just in the process of finishing up a second pass. When I've done
that, and we've done another pass at discussion here, I'll email out
to the AFNI / SPM / FSL mailing lists to see if they've got any
thoughts.   Can you think of anywhere else the discussion should go?

Cheers,

Matthew