[Neuroimaging] [Dipy] RE: Interpretation of beta in the Sparse Fascicle Model

Reid, Robert I. (Rob) Reid.Robert at mayo.edu
Sun Nov 27 16:36:31 EST 2016

> Instead an interpretation that I think is more appropriate (if less satisfying) is that the weights are roughly proportional to a reduction in the variance of the signal

Ah, that’s what I was missing.  I was hoping to use a sparse formulation since those appear more tolerant of lower b than deconvolution approaches (which are also solving for the bundle dispersion), but maybe I can apply a post-hoc compromise.  I think for now though I will continue with a constrained deconvolution and HMOA approach, since it explicitly includes normalization to the bundle fraction ~ 1 case.

Thanks,

     Rob

--
Robert I. Reid, Ph.D. | Sr. Analyst/Programmer, Information Technology
Aging and Dementia Imaging Research | Opus Center for Advanced Imaging Research