[Neuroimaging] indexed access to gziped files

paul mccarthy pauldmccarthy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:49:11 EDT 2016

Howdy all,

Apologies for taking so long on this - I've been busy with my real work.
But I've managed to get my indexed gzip project to a useable state - check
it out here:

https://github.com/pauldmccarthy/indexed_gzip

I've tested it a fair bit via direct usage, but would like to add a bit
more test coverage. And I'd like to add some basic write support - a
function which writes out the full file, but re-builds the index as it does
so, so the file can then be re-opened, with fast random-access available
immediately.

Apart from that, it's ready to be used.

As far as nibabel integration goes, I'm not really sure if any changes to
nibabel are necessary - I think it would be perfectly reasonable to put the
onus on the user to manage their own file handle, and create their nibabel
images via a file map.

The only potential change that I think would be useful is the ability to
create an image directly from a file handle (instead of using
from_file_map). What does everybody think?

Cheers,

Paul