[Neuroimaging] Using Python libs from MATLAB

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:10:02 EDT 2016

Hi Dimitri,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos
<dimitri.papadopoulos at cea.fr> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> There are a few links referring to the Matlab 7.3 format:
> http://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/items/Reading_mat_files.html#matlab-7-3-and-greater

Yes, it's not hard to open the files with h5py or similar, the work
will be to see how the file structure relates to the saved variables.
It's quite possible that it is fairly easy to work out - I haven't
looked.

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4950630/matlab-differences-between-mat-versions
>
> There is also this PDF from Matlab which does not contain even once the
> "HDF" string but does seem to refer to the HDF5-based 7.3 format:
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/pdf_doc/matlab/matfile_format.pdf

That's the doc that describes the earlier mat file formats (versions 4
and 5).   scipy.io implements all the stuff described in that doc.
Quoting from the introduction there:

"This document describes the internal format of MATLAB Level 4 and
Level 5 MAT files."

See you,

Matthew