[Neuroimaging] Conda-forge. (was "Re: [dipy]")

Ariel Rokem arokem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:13:36 EDT 2016

Hi Natalia,

Great to hear that you've resolved that. Indeed, I believe Python 3.5
requires the 2015 Visual Studio to compile our cython extensions.

You (and others here) might be interested to hear that I am also making an
effort to make it possible to install Dipy on different operating systems
with 'conda'.

This will be enabled by conda-forge, which is  a community-based approach
to creating, maintaining and building conda recipes on continuous
integration systems (see: https://conda-forge.github.io/)

When I finally succeed in making this work, installing Dipy will be a
matter of typing the following into your shell (and should work smoothly
across different platforms...):

conda-config --add-channels conda-forge
conda install dipy.

In the meanwhile, I am still working on getting the nibabel dependency to
build on all systems (almost there!
https://github.com/conda-forge/staged-recipes/pull/284), and will then
proceed to continue work on the dipy recipe (
https://github.com/conda-forge/staged-recipes/pull/308). If anyone else
wants to get involved in maintaining these recipes, that would be great.

Cheers,

Ariel