[Neuroimaging] Drop Python 2.6 for nibabel?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 7 01:50:27 EDT 2016

Redhat/Centos is indeed the problem. However, they are holding back the
whole ecosystem, and it's coming at quite a cost.

+1 for dropping Py 2.6.

Gaël

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 02:53:09AM +0000, David Gutman wrote:
> agreed-- I think 8 years is a fairly good support period...    I haven't made
> the switch to the python 3.0+ series, but I'd be surprised if there were a lot
> of systems still using 2.6     I think the main challenge might be people using
> very old versions of REDHAT/Centos that may still? be dependent on 2.6 since
> YUM is dependent on it.

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM JB Poline <jbpoline at gmail.com> wrote:

>     Sounds most reasonable to me.
>     JB

>     On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
>     wrote:

>         Hi,

>         Yarik current has a PR into nibabel that needs `collections.Counter`,
>         available in Python >= 2.7 [1]

>         https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/pull/437

>         At the moment, nibabel supports Python 2.6, but Python 2.6 was
>         released in 2008 [2] isn't maintained any more [3], and numpy is
>         dropping Python 2.6 in the next release [4].  So, I propose that we
>         drop Python 2.6 support for nibabel as well.  Any objections?

>         Cheers,

>         Matthew

>         [1] https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/pull/437
>         [2] https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/
>         [3] https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/
>         [4] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/release/
>         1.12.0-notes.rst#dropped-support

    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  ++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux