[Neuroimaging] Analyzing the topology of ROIs and flood-filling in python (skimage?)

Bob Dougherty bobd at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 3 23:07:22 CEST 2015

A 'hole' in 3d is a voxel fully surrounded by non-zero voxels. If the
projection to 2d shows a 'hole', then it's not a hole in the 3-d sense,
but rather a worm-hole that connects to the outside of the object (in
this case, straight through along the projection axis). So 3d
hole-filling won't fix it. You could try dilate-erode (i.e., image
closing), but that will remove some detail.

I can see how such things would be created by a non-linear deformation,
especially with a very thin ROI. E.g., imagine that the deformation
field piches together your CC ROI in that region, pushing the left and
right bounds of the ROI very close together. Then when you interpolate,
some voxels in the pinched region might disappear.

I think avoiding ROIs with very thin structures would be wise. And maybe
a little image closing as well. Also, are you using trilinear
interpolation followed by a threshold to get back to a binary image?