[Neuroimaging] [pysurfer] making background brain more transparent

Michael Waskom mwaskom at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 31 19:15:56 CEST 2015

Hi Kristie,

If you decrease the alpha value of the anatomy mesh, you'll be able to see
through it. While this can be useful for "glass brain" type volume
visualizations, it's probably not going to give you the effect you want for
showing surface-based ROIs, as it will just be hard to tell what you're
looking at (in my experience). For that reason, alpha isn't exposed as a
parameter. I would say though that the development version of pysurfer lets
you pass custom parameters for the colormap used to show the curvature (in
binary or continuous values) so you could play around with that to see if
you can find something that deemphasizes the anatomy. You can also plot
with curv=False, of course, but that makes it harder to understand where
the ROIs are.

Hope that helps,
Michael