[Neuroimaging] Nibabel API change - always read as float

Michael Waskom mwaskom at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 7 01:24:33 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Alexandre ABRAHAM <
abraham.alexandre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't worry, you were diplomatic enough ;). What I meant is that we
> clearly have two sides here: people who consider nifti data as
> intrinsically float, and people who think that the type is actually
> meaningful. There is no chance that one side changes the other side's view.

I don't think the people in favor of Matthew's proposal are saying this. I
think they are saying that the negatives of `dtype=None` (serious, silent
failures) outweigh the negatives of `dtype=float` (people who want to do
something specific have to pass an explicit parameter in their code).

Perhaps you would frame that different, but I'm confused at the extent to
which people seem to be talking past each other.