[NeedForSpeed] Sprint Update

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri May 5 07:36:41 CEST 2006

Herewith an update on the sprint. Sixteen days and counting!

IMPORTANT
---------
Please ensure you have visited the Wiki pages at

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/NeedForSpeed

and at least provided biographical information in the /Participants page.

Organisation
------------
There is useful information about the sprint goals in the wiki. In order
to hit the ground running you should decide in advance the areas you are
most interested in.

The sprint will be run by coaches reporting to me. In the next couple of
days each goal will be allocated to one of the coaches, whose name will
appear against it in the Wiki. You should contact the coaches with ideas
about how to proceed with specific tasks, to get advice about approaches
or just to register interest. Coaches can summarise on the Wiki as
necessary.

Funded Items
------------
My invitation was a little too generous with our sponsor's funds, so I
must clarify what EWT have agreed to pay for. They are bearing all the
costs of

     Air fares to and from Keflavik
     Hotel room with daily breakfast
     An honorarium (in the form of a geek gift)

You should therefore be prepared to pay for your own lunches (contrary
to what I led you to expect) and dinners. If this will cause you serious
hardship please contact me personally by email and I will see what I can
do to help.

Please accept my apologies for any false expectations I may have raised.
I hope you can all agree that we are exceptionally lucky to be receiving
such generous sponsorship.

Meet and Greet
--------------
There will be a welcome event at CCP's premises on the evening of Sunday
May 21st. This will allow participants to meet each other and engage in
informal discussions before the real work starts on Monday morning. The
exact format is still to be finalised, and I will let you have more
information soon.

Midweek Dinner
--------------
CCP will host a dinner on Wednesday May 24th at which David Salomon, CEO
of EWT, will speak on "The Open Source Economy and its Enemies". Further
details will follow.

Post-Sprint Social
------------------
The sprint proper will end at 5pm on Saturday May 27. It will be
followed by an "awards" ceremony where the guilty can be punished and
the successful mercilessly flogged. The evening will end with us all as
VIP guests of CCP at a well-known Reykjavik club.

In closing this message I just want to say that I am personally indebted
to David Salomon and EWT for the chance to put this event together. I
hope that we can be hugely productive and manage to have some fun at the
same time. I am looking forward to meeting old friends and making new
ones in Reykjavik, and I hope you all are too.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com