[PyDelhi] procuring video equipment for recording talks

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Tue Mar 29 15:16:33 EDT 2016

On 29 March 2016 at 23:12, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:
> Namaste
>
> We need video equipment for recording talks and workshops conducted at
> pydelhi meetups.
> Could someone here suggest what to buy and how much it would cost?

How important is the need for this, and what is the quality of
recording that we are after? Also, where does this need stem from? Who
has asked for this? Do we have a target audience in mind? Do we have
statistics on how many people actually visit archives for past talks?
Are we getting ahead of ourselves here in terms of mandating video
recording?
     - I would submit that first we ask our speakers even in PyDelhi
meetups for slides beforehand: No slides approved by the organising
committee,no talk. Period. Put the slides up on something like
slideshare.net, and only move to video after there is demonstrated
interest there.

     - Is a random guy having some experience with a VCR enough, or
are we after more professional quality: I cannot answer this as I have
never yet seen it fit to sit through a video tutorial. Given Internet
bandwidth restrictions in India, I also do not see who in in a
possible target audience would actually benefit from this.

IMHO, let's not jump into any kind of financial commitments (even
given that these will be small) without understanding why we are doing
this. And, should we agree that this is necessary, let's look for a
sponsor for the equipment.

Regards,
Gora