[PyDelhi] procuring video equipment for recording talks

AMiT Kumar dtu.amit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:14:36 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 9:05 PM, qua non <akshayaurora at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ok, folks here is the current state of voting [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> If you plan to put your opinion in please vote
>>

> The survey is very misleading. You are suggesting as if the community
> can't grow without the video equipment, as if it is the only blocker right
> now.
>
> If you think it'll improve the community, why don't you try it out with a
> simple camera and see if that really works? First of all, who are the
> expected audience of the recorded video and how'll it benefit the community?
>
> The number of views of recorded videos of even PyCon India are very
> disappointing. Each video has about 200-400 page views. Recorded videos of
> bangpypers are not any better.  Just for comparison, many of the US PyCon
> videos has page views ranging from 10K-90K.

It doesn't makes sense to compare US PyCon with PyCon India as the PyCon US
community is much older, larger and popular than PyCon India. The videos of
PyCon India 2014 on youtube are raw videos, which are not worth watching.
Though PyCon India 2015 videos are excellent and it has been there for just
4 months, so you can't expect a million views in such a short time.

> Buying and owning equipment has its own problems. Since the meetup happens
> once in a month, who will keep the camera rest of the time? Who owns it
> (PyDelhi is not a legal org)? What happens if the interest to take videos
> goes down?

The meetup happens twice a month & we have volunteers who turn up for
almost all the meetups, So keeping the camera shouldn't be an issue.